The holidays are here again, and with them are all the cooking preparations that need to be performed for various celebrations and gatherings. As Thanksgiving nears, it is vital to be reminded about fire safety, especially that according a report by the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA), cooking was the leading cause of all residential building fires and injuries from 2014 to 2016. Forty-seven (47) percent of these reported fires were caused by ignited oil, fat, and cooking grease.
Fire incidents are sure to disrupt any festive gathering, and with a fire comes property damage and a variety of other losses. Aside from the cost of burnt items, there is also a need to contact an expert restoration company to repair and restore the home into its pre-incident condition, such as ServiceMaster by LoveJoy in Georgia. To prevent fire accidents this Thanksgiving and all other imminent holidays, ServiceMaster by LoveJoy has prepared some steps on how to properly handle a grease fire.
How to Handle Grease Fires
Grease fires, while not always causing significant flames or giving off a dark and heavy smoke, can leave an extremely pungent layer of cooking grease on surfaces and appliances, which can be difficult to mitigate. This foul smell can quickly permeate walls, furniture, and other items in the surrounding areas, so there is a need to have it completely removed by a professional fire damage restoration company. However, some steps can be taken before the experts arrive.
- Cover the kitchen floor with old towels or plastic to prevent more damage from occurring.
- Using a bucket, mix 2 tablespoons of vinegar and a squirt of dishwashing soap per quart of warm water.
- After mixing, submerge a sponge or sponge mop into the solution and wring out excess liquid.
- Gently scrub all affected surfaces including walls, ceilings, countertops and cabinets in a back-and-forth motion. Use a soft brush for grease-covered areas. Do this until the smell is completely removed and surfaces are clean.
- Rinse sponge after scrubbing and throw the used water out. Fill the bucket with clean, warm water.
- Remove the plastic or old towels used to cover the floor. Give the floor a good scrubbing.
- Completely dry all surfaces and wait for the professionals to arrive. Use a fresh coat of paint to cover persistent stains; however, this step must not be done if all odors haven’t been completely removed.
Contact ServiceMaster by Lovejoy, Expert Fire Damage Restoration Professionals in Georgia
If a grease fire isn’t prevented despite taking precautionary measures, it’s time to call a professional who can deal with the damage in the correct way. ServiceMaster by LoveJoy‘s restoration professionals help return your property back to normal as quickly as possible while restoring your peace of mind by doing the job right.
ServiceMaster by LoveJoy offers fire repair services, smoke and soot removal, and content cleaning to homes and businesses. We have provided fire damage restoration services since 1995 to many homes tarnished by fire. We are an IICRC-certified firm and an insurance-preferred vendor in Georgia.
ServiceMaster by LoveJoy is available to respond to your emergency needs and provide you with immediate solutions to fire and smoke damage 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Contact ServiceMaster by LoveJoy at 678-293-0297 for Conyers and 770-983-6665 for Roswell. We service the following cities and counties in Georgia, as well as surrounding areas: