Mold can be a headache. If you’ve discovered mold growth in your home, you may be eager to clean it up yourself and save money.
If you don’t know how to clean and remove mold, trying to remove it on your own could make the problem worse and cause potential health hazards. But if you’re going to go the DIY route with mold cleanup, you at least want to do it properly. Here are some tips and techniques for a DIY mold cleanup at home.
- There might be some leaks somewhere near the area affected. You need to fix plumbing leaks and other water problems as soon as possible. After fixing the leak, dry all items completely.
- Scrub mold off hard surfaces with detergent and warm water. There might be some residue left, that’s why it’s important to dry the surface completely.
- Don’t use bleach! Bleach will just change the color of your mold to a clear and/or white shade (just as it does to your clothing). Unfortunately, all you have done is to create an environment for the mold’s continued growth and not really remove them. You also may have possibly ingested bleach fumes and airborne mold spores which is unhealthy for you.
- Absorbent or porous materials, such as ceiling tiles and carpet, may have to be thrown away if they become moldy since mold is difficult to remove in these types of materials. Also, mold can grow on or fill in the empty spaces and crevices of porous materials, so the mold may be difficult or impossible to remove completely.
- Avoid exposing yourself or others to mold. Always wear protective gear when dealing with mold, such as gloves and masks. If you have a hazmat suit, better wear it for added protection.
- Do not paint or caulk moldy surfaces. Clean up the mold and dry the surfaces before applying paint. Paint applied over moldy surfaces is likely to peel and won’t last long.
- Complete the cleanup by vacuuming up the debris. Thoroughly clean your wet/dry vacuum afterward by disposing of the filter and washing out the tank, hose and attachments with a bleach-and-water solution.
Mold removal can be a daunting and dangerous task if not done properly. That’s the reason why you need to hire a mold remediation company in Chattanooga TN. In looking for the best mold remediation services in Chattanooga, TN, choose a company which has highly-trained technicians and has many years of experience in commercial and residential mold remediation. Also, for larger-scale mold problems, state regulations may require that a licensed mold remediation Chattanooga, TN company handle the mold removal and mold remediation.
Who to call for a mold remediation service in Chattanooga, TN? ServiceMaster of Cobb understands mold and mold growth and has the necessary training and equipment to remediate the mold in your home or business. We can produce before and after results to validate the cleanliness of your commercial and residential property anywhere in Georgia and Tennessee. You can be certain that all mold will be effectively removed, giving you complete peace of mind.
Contact us at 678-264-3310 for Georgia, 423-220-4482 for Tennessee, and 678-909-1078 for Commercial. You can also visit our website for more details. We are serving businesses and homeowners located in Georgia and Tennessee.