Severe weather can strike without warning. When it does, it is important to remember critical tips to ensure you and your family’s safety.
Tornadoes, high winds, and flash floods are extremely serious weather conditions which happen in Boynton Beach, Florida during the hurricane season and can cause heavy damages to your home and property. In the event a storm threatens your area, it’s essential that you are aware of the things that you need to prepare during these devastating times.
Severe Weather Facts
- Result in an average of 62 deaths and 1,500 injuries per year
- Can produce winds that reach 250+ miles per hour
- Can be as large as one mile wide and stay on the ground for 50 miles
- Results in an average of 55-60 deaths and 300 injuries per year
- Occurs with all thunderstorms
- Can exceed 125 miles per hour
- Can cause tornado-like damage
- Occurs when there is an excessive amount of water not drained
- Can be a major cause of casualties in severe weather
Prepare for Severe Weather like Hurricane or Storm
Don’t let severe weather take you by surprise. Preparation is key to staying safe and minimizing impacts. Here are the top important safety tips from The Weather Channel and American Red Cross, via EHS Today:
- Determine your insurance eligibility by contacting your local insurance agent.
- Learn how your town handles emergencies; know the evacuation route.
- Locate the American Red Cross shelter nearest you.
- Set up a common meeting place in the event family members become separated.
- Develop a disaster preparedness kit with nonperishable food, water, a battery-operated radio, a flashlight, a first aid kit, tools, cash, insurance documents and other day-to-day necessities.
- Make sure your car has a full tank of gas and store a disaster preparedness kit in your car.
- If evacuation is imminent, lock and board-up windows.
- Stow away small objects that could cause damage in high winds; anchor outdoor objects that cannot be brought inside.
- Turn off water, gas and electric utilities when leaving your home.
- Always stay informed on a storm’s development if your area becomes threatened.
- Keep a water damage restoration service’s contact number handy. In case of water damage, it’s best if you keep one. We’ll never know what destruction hurricanes can bring.
As much as we want severe weather not to happen, we believe that it is inevitable given that geographically, Boynton Beach is located in a severe weather-prone area. So it’s better if we prepare our home and business for the worst.
If your home will be damaged by the hurricane, call experts for Residential Reconstruction in Boynton Beach. If it’s your business that is damaged by the severe weather, then you can contact a Commercial Water Damage Restoration in Boynton Beach.
We are serving businesses and homeowners located in Boca Raton, Boynton Beach, Deerfield Beach, Fort Lauderdale, and Pompano Beach, Southeast Florida. Keep safe all the time!